If your business doesn’t show up on page one or in the first handful of local results delivered when people type “their city name + something they want” into their chosen search engine your business simply can’t compete. And with more people conducting these types of searches on the smart phones, they don’t even have to type in “their city name” because the search engines are assuming mobile searchers are looking for local results.
There are many ways to build a stronger local search presence. In this post I’ll share some suggestions for improving your local search rankings by adding local content.
There are many ways to make your web site content more localized; here are a few steps to consider:
- Add your physical address to every page .
- Add city names in navigation: e.g. “Kansas City Estate Planning Attorney” .
- Add your suburb and/or the name of your neighborhood into your content in natural ways.
- Add a local event blog and list festivals and non-profit events .
- Find and exchange links with relevant local bloggers using a tool like placeblogger.
Put these items on your marketing calendar today and start winning the local search game.
Bill Brelsford Small Business Marketing Consultant