Word of mouth plays an important role in growing a professional service firm. We spend a lot of time and effort trying to influence customers and referral partners to talk about our services to others.
When marketing our firms with WOM one question we have to ask is “why would they talk about me?”to friends and colleagues. This is when we start breaking out the tag lines, pain statements, benefits, etc.
Maybe we should be asking a different question. Maybe we should be asking “how can I help my customers be great?” .
Which do you think would be easier?
- Getting your customers to talk about how great you are?
- Or getting your customers to talk about the great stuff they did with your help?
Which do you think would be more effective?
It would be much easier to get others to talk about how great they are. The hard part for us may be to change our perspective, and our business, to help this happen.
- What would your business look like if getting customers to talk about the great things they do with your help was your central marketing (and business) strategy?
- How would things change?
- Would you have to redesign your product\service package? Would you price and bill differently?
- Would you visit or call your customers more or less often?
- Would you spend more time learning about your customers’ customers?
- Would your attitude and practices related to social media change?
Leave a comment and let me know how you help your customers be great.
Bill Brelsford Small Business Marketing Consultant